Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Glasgow




A scene from Loch Ard











The Wallace Monument. A pity the inside was closed for maintenance on the day that I was there.







I've been unable to access the internet since I've arrived in Glasgow so I'll do my best to catch up now. Scotland has been great so far: I have been to Loch Ard (just as picturesque as David Mould's photos); I've circumnavigated Loch Lomond; yesterday I went to the Wallace monument and Stirling Castle. Later I went into Glasgow for some sightseeing and to ge some fish for dinner. I got a pair of Ardbroth Smokies from a shop called the Fish Plaice. Shop is a flattering descriptor because it is more like a shed but the fish are so fresh. The fish is a special smoked halibut and it was magnificent (just grilled with some butter and served with some vegetables).

I'm staying with my friend Dawn at present and given that she works for the Food and Drink section of the government in internation exports she really knows her food sources. I'm planning to go up to Inverness next Monday and then go and spend a couple of days on Orkney. It should be quite a trip.




Stirling Castle. This is one of the best tourist sites that I have been to, the restorations are magnificent and the guides really know their stuff.









4 comments:

  1. Love the photo of Stirling Castle, it looks like an old painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian ...seems as though all is going well for you ...the Scottish leg already! Steeped in History ...and familiar place names...look forward to the Orkney experiences on film...All good here cooler for now but tennis begins Monday as I predict also will the hotter weather...I wonder if you will be a lone Aussie in the Orkneys...probably not They're everywhere i guess. Stay safe
    Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ian - watched a show just the other night on how to smoke a piece of halibut. You just confirmed that the ardbroth smokie is worth experiencing. So pleased your holiday is going so well. Looking forward to hearing your stories and sharing your experiences. All the best Ray and Marg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray and Marg,

      Great to hear from you both. I'm in Inverness overnight and heading up to Orkney tomorrow. I'm staying there for 3 nights and then heading back to Glasgow on Friday. Returning home on Sunday.
      Scotland is such a beautiful place. The winter light, the frosts and mists, the colour of the landscapes give such rich opportunities for my photography.
      Right now I'm watching the River Ness flow by and I'm about to add to my blog. I've just had a wonderful meal of Highland beef on the other side of the river. My friend Dawn keeps giving me the inside knowledge of wonderful places to go to for meals. She's had a great strike rate in her recommendations.
      I hope you are both well and give my love to the girls.

      Cheers,

      Ian

      Delete