Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Under the Weather in Orkney













Yesterday it was benign in Orkney. There were clear skies, it was cold but easy to move around in. Today it was wild. Wind, rain and sleet. A lot of the attractions were closed because of the weather: Skara Bray, the Ring of Brognar (I went there anyway). The winds must have been at least 100kph, enough to shake the car significantly when it was parked. Not as bad as it can be however: Christmas Day had winds of 143 miles per hour. They were strong westerlies so I headed to the west coast to capture some shots of

the wave action.


These photos were really taken with some danger of being blown off the cliff. The cliffs were about 50-60 metres high and thick bands of spray were being blown 40 metres from their edge over my car. I was being blown sideways as I made my way to the cliff edge. I found a semi-sheltered spot and these photos are the result. Well worth the risk I would think.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad you weren't blown off the cliff! Great photos, but NOT worth the risk, I would think! Take care, please.......

    ReplyDelete