Saturday, October 23, 2010

Edinburgh

I haven't got time to put up more photos yet as I have an early start tomorrow. I am driving from Edinburgh to Kennacraig so thatI can catch the ferry to Islay.
Barony Castle was a good choice for a place to stay and the 18 mile drive to downtown Edinburgh each day has introduced me to the differences in driving over here and it has got me used to my Vauxhall Corsa.
I've found Scots to be very friendly and willing to help, if I need it. For example, yesterday I drove into Edinburgh so that I could go to a bank and get some local currency. Well I didn't think that one through very well. I drove for an hour looking for a parking place. I finally parked the car illegally, asked a girl in a restaurant where I could find a park. She gave me directions but said the traffic inspectors were like dynamite (she was not wrong there), then she gave me a pound so that I would have money for the meter.
Another woman who sat next to me in the plane from France gave me heaps of information about the country and what to do in Glasgow when I get there.
Today was a domestic day in the morning. I went to Peebles to do some laundry. It was either that or buy some new ubderwear and socks. I might need to anyway. I'm told I'm probably going to need long johns as I head further north. We shall see. I then went to see the Royal Yacht, Brittania, and then on to Edinburgh Castle.
Keep up the comments everyone, I really enjoy getting your messages.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ian,
    Just caught up on everything your up to after spending the weekend at the Murray.
    The photographs are beautiful - you must be getting quite familiar with your camera and lenses by now.
    Just a quick one for now.
    Love Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian
    Enjoy Scotland and it's amazing beauty.I loved Glasgow and you are right,the people are very helpful and friendly. I look forward to your photos.It is a beautiful Spring day here,am about to take my book and hook up the hammock.
    Take care
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ian,

    I am sure that you will love the ruggedness and dour beauty of Scotland but I am sure that you can feel a Laphroaig (or two) coming on!

    Enjoy!

    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ian,
    Loving the photos and descriptions - can see you were an English teacher! Glad to see you made it to Scotland - can't believe the scenes we're seeing of the riots in Paris.
    I'm sure John would love to join you in a glass of Laphroaig - enjoy!
    Love Julia and John.

    ReplyDelete