Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More of The Louvre


Another painting from Year 11 Art. Rubens. But there were so many masters: Vermeer, Raphael, Leonardo, Rembrandt, Courbet, Renoir, Durer, Ingres, Caravaggio, de la Tour, Van Eyck .......................


You will probably recognise this painting too, Monna Lisa or La Joconde. Whilst it was popular, it was not that difficult to get to the front to take a photo. Perhaps there were about 30-40 people there and you could take your time to look at the work. It was bigger than I anticipated and the painting was brighter than I thought it would be. This was just another moment when I saw something as well known as this in real life and wondered about significance of it all. I could never do it but I also wondered what was the value of all of these works. The easy answer is that while it has a monetary value , it is impossible to value its real worth. How great to have so much art history in one place and how priviledged am I to be here to see it.

Here is the ceiling that I lost in the previous post. Not bad.

4 comments:

  1. Ian ..these photos are beautiful ...well that is except for the one of you!...just kidding..Paris is beautiful too ...although are the protests affecting your movements at all? Fancy having to be 62 before one can retire...!!! Any way not sure if I can post this but will try again ..have tried a couple of times but unsuccessfully...Ray's blog had an 'anonymous' profile where you could post comments without having to set up an 'account'..might just have to do that now tho'. Hope you yourself are doing OK ..BTW how come you could photograph in Le Louvre?? etc.
    Cheers for now Ronda [& John]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ronda and John, it's good to know that you are staying in touch through the blog. I've just arrived in Scotland and I am staying in Barony Castle for the next two nights. Then I might have an extra night in Edinburgh before heading off to the island of Islay. I've arrived in the dark and haven't seen anything of the countryside. I'm about 20 miles south of Edinburgh but I have a car and I'm mobile. Thank goodness for satnav or I never would have found my way here.
    France exceeded my expectations in almost every way and I am pleased that I studied French at school. It's amazing how much comes back to you when you really need it. Now I've got to understand Scottish. Hmmmm. I had a practice by talking to a Scottish woman who is a senior international business executive for a trade and investment arm of the government on the way over from France. I'm getting the hang of it. I am having lunch with a friend tomorrow. I've suggested that if we can't find the address for the restaurant that has been suggested that we look for a real Macdonalds.
    Well, only two weeks to go.

    See you both soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ..we've made contact..John will be envious of you now being in Scotland...BTW How is the castle? Does it live up to its profile on the web? Back to France ..I wondered if , as you went to Dijon...did you pass through or by Besancon ..on your way south? Enjoy all things Scottish now...Travel safely
    Ronda [& John]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edinburgh Castle was good, I just went there today. I had lunch with two friends on the Golden Mile yesterday (roast grouse).
    My accommodation at Barony Castle was excellent (porridge, haggis with my poached eggs each morning) and last night I had pigeon breast as an entree. The birds don't last long around here.
    I've just planned the rest of my time in Scotland (2 nights on Islay, I go there tomorrow so there is an early start), one night then at Oban, Strathpeffer, St Andrews, Glasgow and then on to Windemere, Doncaster, Bicester and London.
    And I don't think we went through Besancon.

    ReplyDelete