Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Louvre



I spent most of the day at The Louvre and there is no way that I got to see everything. There were so many paintings, statues and rooms to see that it is just not possible. I got to The Louvre at 8.50 and because I had a Paris Museum Pass I got to go to an express entrance. I just had to wait for 9.00am and for the staff to get organised. Hmmmm they are French. In by 9.10am. This is a self portrait by Rembrandt amongst a number of his other works. I never thought that I would ever see these paintings that I studied in Year 11 Art.

The trouble is that you see so many masters at the one time that you are in danger of not recognising how significant all of this is.










There were a number of artists in the building replicating the masters. Here is just one of them. He was working in monochrome, unlike the original. He was so wrapt up in concentration that I could not ask why.









This is a painting of Pont du Gard. If you remember, it was a Roman Aqueduct that I went to earlier in my trip.










It's not always what is on the walls that you have to look at. Sometimes the ceilings are a work of art too. [some how I lost a photo of a wonderful ceiling].



This is the famous Venus de Milo.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Ian,
    We are enjoying your blog and keeping up with your trip.
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased you are staying in touch. France has been really a great place to come to. My language has stood up incredibly well and the French people have been generous, despite their reputation. There is so much history and culture in so many of the places that I have visited. Each day I have thought that it could not get any better but it does. The stand out places have been Annecy, Albi, St Paul de Vence and Paris itself. I could have stayed in each of the places longer but it fulfilled its purpose and I have a number of places to consider returning to.

    I am now in Scotland and will head into Edinburgh tomorrow and the next day before heading off to Isaly to visit Laphroaig.. and Lagavulen and another one that I cannot pronounce, let alone spell.

    I'll catch up when I return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pleased that you are staying in touch. France was such a great place to come to. There were so many places to which I would like to return (never end a sentence with a preposition). The stand outs were Annecy, Albi and St Paul de Vence and Paris was good at the end too.

    I'm now in Scotland. I'm staying at Barony Castle (worth looking up on Google) and then i'm off to Islay, the birthplace of Laphroaig, Lagavulen and another top single malt that I cannot pronounce, let alone spell.

    I'll catch up with you both soon after my return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You now have two comments, I didn't think the first one was published.

    ReplyDelete