Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Islay




This is the Machrie Hotel where I stayed. It is a little bit isolated; it is a bit tired; the room doesn't have potable water, they supply bottled water; but I would stay there in a flash next time I go to Islay because it has real character and it felt good being there.













This is Port Charlotte, one of a number of small villages on the island. Almost always crammed against the sea and with the roads running past the front doors.
















This is Lossit Bay. It has a real beach with ral sand. I had to acccess this by a 20 minute walk across farm land. Once again I had it entirely to myself. There was not a footprint to be seen.
It must be lovely here in summer.












A small fresh water stream flows into the sea. I just loved the patterns that it made in the sand.



















This is Bowmore, perhaps the largest village on Islay. It is the home of the Bowmore Distillery and the secondary school fo the island.
I came here from the ferry to get accommdation from the Visitor Information Centre but it was shut. It was Sunday.
There are a number of gourmet food and accommodation places here but at 140 pounds per night and dinner on top of that the Machrie had more appeal for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment