Friday, October 29, 2010

Glencoe


My stay in Oban was spoiled by the fact that it rained almost non-stop while I was there so I did not feel inclined to go exploring very far.
The drive from Oban to Strathpeffer however, was magic, despite the rain. I drove via Glencoe and it is one of the most famed areas in the highlands. I could never get a photo that really showed the immense size of the mountains. They always felt much bigger than the camera shows. This is a desolate and exciting part of Scotland. People come here to walk through the area. A lady in a petrol station told me that I should always see Glencoe in the rain. Well the weather didn't disappoint. Although I suspect that it is almost impossible to see Glencoe when it is not raining here. Glencoe is the place of a famous massacre of the MacDonalds by the Campbells. It was part of the government's attempts to rid the country of highlanders and it is famous, not so much for the numbers killed (about 138), but more for the fact that those who carried out the slaughter were being cared for by the MacDonalds and were shown great hospitality. It is the treachery that has been long remembered.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian
    Those mountains look pretty amazing! It's been raining here all day,just beautiful! I am so glad I have a tin roof!
    Enjoy the rest of Scotland.
    Happy driving!
    Judi

    ReplyDelete